From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
L. David Syms-Greene (February 22, 1921 – April 7, 2003), born Lucius David Syms Brian Lederman, was a British television director from Manchester, England, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada in 1953, where he trained in television production with the CBC, and then moved on to Hollywood, California.
Greene's career began as a stage actor and director in England in 1948. In 1950 he appeared in the film, The Wooden Horse. In Hollywood, Greene became best known for his television series and television film productions. Among these were:
- A Season in Purgatory (1996) starring Patrick Dempsey
- Children of the Dust (1995) starring Sidney Poitier
- Whatever Happened to ... (1991) starring the Redgrave sisters, Lynn and Vanessa, a remake of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962)
- Inherit The Wind (1988) starring Kirk Douglas and Jason Robards Jr.
- Circle of Violence (1986) starring Tuesday Weld and River Phoenix; won a Wise Owl Award for Outstanding Television film.
- Rehearsal For Murder (1982) starring Robert Preston and Lynn Redgrave
- Friendly Fire (1979) starring Carol Burnett; won Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Limited Series or a Special
- Roots (1977) starring Lorne Greene and Maya Angelou; won Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
- Rich Man, Poor Man (1976) starring Nick Nolte and Ray Milland; won Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series
- Godspell (1973); the film was nominated for the Golden Palm at the Cannes Film Festival
- The People Next Door (1970), an episode of CBS Playhouse starring Eli Wallach and Julie Harris; won Emmy for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Drama
Greene was married 7 times: Margaret Lane (1941–1948), Katharine Blake (1948–1959), Eileen Grace Jack (1959–1970), Thomasina Doreen Patricia Jones (1972–1973), Vanessa Linsell (1975–1981), Lauren Ricky Greene (1981–2001) and Kelly Greene (2003). Greene was divorced from five of his seven wives. His marriage to Thomasina ended in her death and his seventh ended in his own death three days later. He had one child each with Vanessa Linsell, Thomasina Jones, Eileen Grace Jack and Katharine Blake.
He died aged 82 on April 7, 2003 of pancreatic cancer, in Ojai, California.
Description above from the Wikipedia article David Greene (director), licensed under CC-BY-SA, full list of contributors on Wikipedia